Management Systems International (MSI) – A Tetra Tech Company, is an international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. and founded in 1981 by Marina Fanning and Larry Cooley. In 2016, MSI became a Tetra Tech company.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time
- The purpose of the Nigeria Monitoring Project (NMP) is to establish a third-party monitoring system to monitor, verify, and analyze trends on humanitarian programs in Nigeria funded by USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) and the Office of Food for Peace (FFP)
- The program will create an independent and verifiable monitoring mechanism for OFDA and FFP programs in Nigeria that will increase OFDA, FFP, and their partners’ understanding of the outputs, outcomes, processes, progress, quality, challenges, achievements, and lessons learned of their projects
- The information and findings will be critical in ensuring program learning, program accountability, and beneficiary accountability, which will be useful for real time programmatic adjustments and future program design.
- Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party, manage all facility, vehicle and personnel security and safety functions in support of the NMP Maiduguri regional office and all associated field monitoring and verification activities.
- This position will be based full time in the NMP Regional Office in Maiduguri and may require regular travel throughout the Northeast Nigerian states.
- Regularly assess regional communications requirements and needs; ensure the availability of appropriate communications technology; orient all staff to emergency communication procedures and technology; test the emergency communication system regularly, analyze results, and make appropriate revisions; maintain an updated emergency communication contact list.
- Develop and maintain liaison with police, government agencies, local authorities, local leadership and other stakeholders within Northeast regional municipalities.
- Establish a methodology for monitoring, assessing and reporting security / safety-related information that impacts NMP project staff, operations, information and plans.
- Process any and all required security clearances for regional/area travel and habitation.
- Harmonize plans with the NMP Field Coordinator to track NMP staff movements.
- Develop and disseminate regular, up-to-date Security Situation briefs to all NMP staff.
- Conduct regular (checklist centered) security surveys of office and residential areas.
- Prepare and maintain updated security training materials and ensure that all regional staff receive appropriate security orientations within the first days of employment / arrival.
- Collaborate with the Field Coordinator to identify assigned activity locations. Conduct remote reconnaissance, route analysis, and threat assessments for all travel to planned M&V activity sites to determine primary and alternate travel routes and “safe harbor” location options.
- Collaborate with the Deputy Chief of Party to develop a “Safety Decision Support Matrix” to formalize a process by which field team leaders can make “go/no-go decisions” when confronting safety and security challenges.
- Collaborate with NMP leadership to develop, test, train and promulgate the following: Facility Intrusion Response Plan, Ebola Threat Response Plan, Kidnap Response Plan, Personal Security Plan, Medial Evacuation Plan, Basic Life Saving Skills Plan, and other plans as directed.
- Supervise the regular tasks and schedules for security guards and drivers (as required).
- Conduct regular safety and security training with project staff and consultants.
- Work closely with the project’s selected security provider to ensure of the satisfactory delivery of services.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- A University Degree in a relevant field will be given preference.
- Those with relevant infantry, military police or military intelligence experiences will be given preference.
- Five years of experience and practical knowledge of security / safety-related subjects, threat / risk assessment, security management, and personal / organizational security awareness.
- Proven experience working effectively in complex security environments. Past security experience in Maiduguri and / or Nonthreat Nigeria will be given preference.
- Ability to use modern communications technology (computers, software, cellular and satellite equipment, tracking devices, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to produce high-quality written reports with minimal/no supervision or support, including: Threat, Risk, and Vulnerability Assessments, Security Surveys, Security Audits, and Contingency Planning.
- Valid driver’s license and an understanding of defensive driving skills.
- Fluency in English and languages / dialects of NE Nigerian states.
- Strong level of understanding of threats and risks in Northern Nigeria.
- Demonstrated report writing and oral presentation skills in English.
- Sound human relation skills, integrity, a commitment to the safety of others, and solid communications skills.
- The candidate will have strong organizational skills, ability to interact effectively with international and national staff, vendors, subcontractors, and clients
- He/she will possess strong English language verbal and written communication and translation skills and will be a solid team player
- He/she will possess a demonstrated ability to multi-task, be a strategic thinker and operate with a genuine dedication to program support.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only Nigerian citizens are eligible for this position.
- Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls, please.
|Job Category||Security / Intelligence|