Committed To Good (CTG) is an award-winning private sector company that enables humanitarian and development projects in conflict zones. As a people solutions business, we recruit, deploy and manage the right people with the right skills to implement projects in the world’s toughest regions.
Having worked in more than 25 fragile and conflict-affected countries, we pride ourselves on hiring 90% local employees, providing decent, dignified work and new opportunities in fragile communities. 90% of our turnover goes back into the local economy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Trade Advisor – Western Africa
Vacancy ID: VAC-7101
Location: Abuja with travels to the AfCFTA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana & to other member states.
Employment Type: Contract
Duration: 1 year (230 days)
Start Date: 31st March, 2022
Overview of Position
- The African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Secretariat is the sole organization in the continent, legally established & mandated to handle the rules of trade between African countries.
- At the core is the implementation of the agreement establishing the AfCFTA (thereafter “AfCFTA agreement), negotiated, signed & ratified by the state parties. The goal is to ensure that trade is conducted smoothly, predictably & as freely as possible across the continent. The AfCFTA Secretariat, which is headquartered in Accra – Ghana at the Africa Trade House, was established in February 2020 following the election of its 1st Secretary-General.
- The AfCFTA agreement was signed at an extraordinary session of the assembly of the African Union (AU) in Kigali, Rwanda on 21 March 2018.
- The agreement sets out a continental system of trade rules, acts as a platform for negotiating trade protocols, facilitates the settlement of disputes between state parties & monitors the implementation of the AfCFTA Agreement. Furthermore, the AfCFTA Agreement is a framework agreement, with comprehensive coverage of trade in goods, trade in services, investment, competition policy, intellectual property rights, women, youth in trade & digital trade as well as rules & procedures for the settlement of disputes.
- The Regional Economic Communities (RECs) have a very important role to play in the advancement of the Africa’s integration agenda & in particular the AfCFTA.
- The agreement recognizes the RECs as building blocks for the AfCFTA, which is expected to build on the progress that had been achieved by the RECs. The AfCFTA Secretariat is therefore expected to work with the RECs in the implementation of the AfCFTA.
- The 33rd ordinary session of the assembly of heads of state of the AU held in February 2020 requested the AfCFTA Secretariat, AU commission, the RECs to develop a framework of collaboration before the start of trading under the AfCFTA & submit a substantive progress report on the matter.
- In January 2017, the ordinary session of the AU also directed that there should be effective collaboration & a clear division of labour between the AU, RECs / Regional Mechanisms (RMs) & the member states, in line with the principle of subsidiarity.
- Therefore, the need to establish a clear & effective division of labour is necessitated by the need for AfCFTA Secretariat & other allied institutions, in particular the RECs, to work together in every area of integration based on their respective competencies so as to remove overlaps & duplication.
- This ensures the delineation of responsibilities within each area or sector of integration based on subsidiarity.
- It is against this background that the AfCFTA Secretariat seeks to engage the services of a Regional Trade Advisor – Western Africa to support the development of region specific strategy to enhance the effective collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region.
- The Regional Trade Advisor – Western Africa, to support the development of region-specific strategy to enhance the effective collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region will work directly under the RECs Advisors’ Coordinator on the following tasks, among others:
- Coordinate & monitor the implementation of the AfCFTA agreement in the Western Africa region.
- Map out the potential areas of convergence, divergence in the Western Africa liberalization agenda & the implementation of the AfCFTA.
- Develop appropriate modalities, mechanisms for managing the interface between the Secretariat of the AfCFTA & the Western Africa region.
- Develop a strategy to enhance the effective collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region.
- Develop an implementation matrix for collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region.
- Establish mechanisms to ensure private sector / civil society involvement in the AfCFTA at the Western Africa region.
- Establish effective mechanisms for mobilization of resources for the effective implementation of the AfCFTA / Western Africa collaboration.
- Perform any other duties as may be required from time to time.
The Main Deliverables of the Assignment are as Follows:
|No.||Deliverables / outputs||Estimated duration to complete||Review & Approvals required|
|1||Inception report||5 working days||RECs Advisor Coordinator|
|2||Develop a mechanism for coordinating & monitoring the implementation of the AfCFTA in the Western Africa Region||20 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|3||Map out the potential areas of convergence, divergence in the western region’s liberalization agenda & the implementation of the AfCFTA||40 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|4||Study on AfCFTA Secretariat – Western Africa region interface||40 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|5||Develop a strategy to enhance the effective collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region||40 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|6||Enhancing private sector / civil society involvement in the AfCFTA / Western Africa Region collaboration||20 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|7||Resource mobilisation for the AfCFTA / Western Africa collaboration||20 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|8||Develop an implementation matrix for collaboration between the AfCFTA Secretariat & the Western Africa region||30 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
|9||Final report||15 working days||RECs Advisors’ Coordinator|
- This assignment will be carried out under the supervision of the RECs Advisors’ Coordinator in the Office of the Secretary General.
- Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to provide the services.
- The eligibility criteria, establishment of a shortlist & selection procedure shall be in conformity with our clients procurement rules & procedures.
- Master’s Degree in Economics, International Trade or Trade Law, Development Economics, International Relations.
- 10 years of experience in the area of trade policies, trade negotiations & implementation at national, regional or multilateral level.
- Practical experience in trade policy formulation, negotiation, implementation at the national & regional level.
- Experience in formulating development strategies & policies.
- Excellent public speaking & presentation skills.
- Good understanding of the internal procedures of the AfCFTA Secretariat as well as regional integration, trade & economic growth.
- Experience working on AU, RECs & other multilateral institutions on the continent.
- Capacity to communicate fluently with different stakeholders (civil society, govt. authorities, local communities, project staff).
- Full command of MS applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) & common internet applications will be required.
- Proficiency in one of the AfCFTA working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic).
- Fluency in another AfCFTA working language(s) is an added advantage.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the Secretariat’s values & ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission & strategic goals of the Secretariat.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity & adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity & zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- This role has no team management responsibility
- The duration of the assignment will be 230 days.
The selected consultant shall receive his / her lump-sum service fees upon certification of the completed tasks satisfactorily, as per the following payment schedule:
|Installment of payment / period||Deliverables or documents to be delivered||Approval should be obtained||Percentage of payment|
|1st installment||Deliverable 1||RECs Advisors Coordinator||10%|
|2nd installment||Deliverable 2||RECs Advisors Coordinator||15%|
|3rd installment||Deliverables 3 & 4||RECs Advisors Coordinator||25%|
|4th installment||Deliverables 5, 6 & 7||RECs Advisors Coordinator||20%|
|5th installment||Deliverable 8||RECs Advisors Coordinator||10%|
|6th installment||Deliverable 9||RECs Advisors Coordinator||20%|
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG charge candidates a fee, this includes during the application stage, interview, processing, assessment & training