The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse – Temporary Appointment
Job ID: 29848
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – Emergency Response
Vacancy Type: TA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 06 months
- The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and its significant spread in Nigeria has brought about this urgent need for nurses to work with the Dispensary Physician to work at the Isolation facility which has been operative for some days now.
- Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: These temporary positions are located at headquarters (OHRM), the Regional Commissions and field medical facilities, including those UN Clinics administered by UNDP. Depending on their location, they report to the Head Nurse, UN Health Manager if applicable.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Nurse at this level will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers.
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate, documents case findings.
- Assist to the medical officer on the management, organization and coordination of the fever clinic, including isolation ward, etc at the duty station.
- Assist the medical officer in the follow up and tracking of the positive cases and close contacts
- Performs point of care diagnostic and screening tests.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak,
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Staff across the Organization
- Personnel in office of Staff Counsellor
- Security officers
- Physicians and nurses outside the UN
- Representatives of pharmaceutical/medical supply companies.
- Delegates and NGO Representatives
- Insurance Providers
- Assists in the implementation of preventive and medical actions and responses related to disease outbreak crisis.
- Provides quality nursing services that contribute to good physical and mental health of the staff of the Organisation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Registered Professional Nurse with a High School Diploma and who is a graduate of either an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing programme or an accredited Diploma programme (3 years).
- National registration and license are required.
- Seven (07) years of experience in nursing or related area. UN field experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in the care of the mechanically ventilated patient, including the set up and maintenance of circuits and ventilator machines.
- Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable.
- Certification as Intensive Care Nurse or a minimum of 1 years’ experience as an Intensive Care Nurse in the past 5 years.
- Proven experience in barrier nursing and use of PPE.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Application Closing Date
5th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Medical/ Healthcare / Pharmaceutical Jobs|