African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead, Partnership and Coordination
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL2
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI) provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
- Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability and effective nutrition.
- The Department leads the effort to transform African agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction in Regional Member Countries.
- The Lead Partnership and Coordination will support the delivery of the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
- The role of the Lead Partnership and Coordination is amongst others, follow up and monitor AHAI portfolio of projects; manage special initiatives of the Department especially as related to continent and regional agricultural and rural development issues; coordinate the preparation of AHAI’s economic and sector work activities; and contribute to initiate, develop and implement Bank strategies for the agriculture and rural development sector.
- Under the general supervision of the Director of AHAI Department and working closely with Division Managers, the Lead Partnership and Coordination will follow up and monitor AHAI portfolio of projects and studies as well as coordinate the preparation of AHAI’s Work Program.
- The Lead Partnership and Coordination will also be responsible for coordinating the special initiatives of the Department especially as related to continent and regional agricultural and rural development issues. This will include, but not limited to the following tasks listed below:
Under the overall supervision of the Director AHAI, the Lead Partnership and Coordination performs the following:
Portfolio Management and Programming:
- Assist the Director in monitoring the performance of AHAI project portfolio and achievements of targets of Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and ensure that project/program performance leads to achievement of its stated objectives;
- Coordinate with other Division Managers on various tasks;
- Contribute to the development of policies and appropriate strategies for intervening in the agricultural and rural development sector in line with country strategy papers for the various Regional Member Countries (RMCs);
- Undertake initial review of procurement documents submitted for clearance by the Director;
- Contribute to the preparation of the Departmental annual work program and budgets according to the priorities set forth by the Country and Regional Departments.
- Work to intensify partnerships with current and emerging development partners in the sectors and themes under the purview of the Sector Vice Presidency (AHVP) in order to leverage statutory and budgetary financial and intellectual resources;
- Assist the Department to make better use of the technical cooperation funds administrated by the Bank under the responsibility of the Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Department (FIRM);
- Assist in soliciting/searching for funding from prospective co-financiers of Bank funded activities by AHAI;
- Represent the Department in selected meetings with cooperating partners within and outside the Bank.
- Participate in the design, execution and review of policies, strategies, procedure and guidelines for Bank’s intervention in the agricultural and ago-industry sectors and related activities;
- Lead initiatives related to the development of economic and sector work in collaboration with sector divisions, to increase knowledge in the sector, enhance the Bank’s and RMC’s understanding of the contribution of the sector to poverty reduction, and identify constraints, challenges, opportunities, risks and uncertainties to the development of RMCs;
- Oversee preparation of a range of key policy papers, sector/technical reports, etc;
- Develop and build client relations at senior levels and plays a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank;
- Provide technical leadership amongst their colleagues.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, or related fields of study.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in agriculture and rural development-related fields including policy development, but mainly in Task Managing project planning, preparation, appraisal, implementation, monitoring and evaluation; experience in with donor agencies is an essential; Specific AfDB experience is desirable.
- Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of development issues.
- Analytical skills and ability to understand and solve complex project management problems.
- Networking and facilitation skills; ability to work in teams; good interpersonal, communication and project management skills; resourcefulness, attention to details and client and result orientation.
- Ability to work in multi-tasking, under pressure to meet tight deadlines with quality output and results.
- Dynamic, achievement-focused professional; high degree of personal commitment; proven communication, interpersonal, coordination and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English or French with good working knowledge of the other language.
- Good mastery of standard computer applications (Microsoft office package) with knowledge of SAP as a plus.
Application Closing Date
24th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.