Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu – the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Kernel Engineer, Ubuntu Linux
- Are you passionate about the Linux kernel? Or maybe you’ve mastered a different low-level software development environment and are ready for a new challenge in Linux? Are you looking to work on a great team, where you can apply and grow your kernel development skills?
- This is an exciting time at Canonical, where due to a period of unprecedented growth we are seeking a number of software engineers to join our Kernel Team to play an integral part in the delivery of the heart of the most popular Linux distribution in the world.
- We are seeking candidates of all experience levels from recent University Graduates up through seasoned industry experts who are enthusiastic to develop software in multiple areas including security mitigation, feature development, patching and test.
- This person must have a background in software engineering, be motivated to work in a distributed team and willing to travel globally up to 4 times a year for internal and external engineering events.
- The Canonical Linux Kernel Team is responsible for developing and maintaining all supported Ubuntu Linux kernels, which run on a variety of platforms and architectures from small embedded devices to standard desktop/server systems to large scale cloud environments. The Kernel Team has openings for software engineers in a number of aspects that include but are not limited to:
- Ubuntu Linux distribution
- Optimized Ubuntu solutions for key Silicon and Cloud partner platforms
- Enabling Ubuntu on a wide range of embedded systems
- Livepatch service, which allows Ubuntu customers to apply critical kernel (CVE) security fixes without rebooting
- FIPS compliance
- Real-Time and Low Latency systems
- Virtualization or abstraction engines
- Earned a Bachelor’s (or equivalent University level) Degree, preferably in a Technology field
- Significant programming experience in C, with Python and Bash scripting also highly regarded
- Prior experience with Ubuntu/Debian/Snap packaging would be highly regarded
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate regularly and proactively with a globally distributed team
- Work closely with external silicon, cloud, or hardware manufacturer delivery teams on bleeding edge platforms
- Diagnose and resolve issues in the kernel reported by customers and the community
- Take personal responsibility for the delivery of various flavors of the Ubuntu Linux kernel
- Improve tooling and automation for delivery and test of Ubuntu Linux kernels
- Submit, review, and apply kernel patches, working with both internal and external upstream maintainers
Who you are:
- Well-organized, self-starting and able to deliver to fixed schedules
- Demonstrated ability to present oneself in a professional manner when interacting with colleagues, business partners, and the open source community
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and oral
- Solid background with git
- Broad knowledge of the Linux kernel and kernel subsystems
- Demonstrated experience with kernel patching and debugging
- Knowledge/experience with Linux kernel upstream processes and release cycle
- Strong grasp of device drivers, BSP’s, and other low level system engineering
- Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online