Owens and Xley is a small Business Advisory and Consulting company in Lagos, Nigeria. Our services include of small business startup and set up, business plan preparation, business process design and business strategy formulation. We know the role good planning plays in any business and its associated costs; and the initial capital challenges faced by a small business which is why we have developed solutions which ensure that small business owners have access to technical skills but at a fraction of the cost.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Accountant
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- You are responsible for processing all invoices received for payment and undertaking the cost of all creditors, including vendor invoices, in an accurate, efficient and timely manner.
- Review all purchase orders and receipts for any vendor invoices submitted.
- Process outgoing payments in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Charge expenses to accounts centres by analysing invoice cum expense reports
- Organize the remuneration of staff in the form of salary increases, bonuses and promotions from the allotted budget in line with the company’s procedures
- Handle bi-weekly payroll for the production team.
- Perform day to day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, and recording accounts payable data
- Reconcile the accounts payable ledger to ensure that all bills and payments are accounted for and correctly posted.
- Verify and investigate discrepancies, if any, by reconciling vendor accounts and monthly vendor statements
- Understand compliance issues around accounts payable processes, sales tax etc.
- Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Ensure correct approval, sorting, coding and matching of invoices/receipts
- Accurately review, code, and process vendor invoices
- Keep track, process and reconcile payments and expenditures, including payroll, purchase orders, invoices, statements, checks, refund requisitions etc., in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Perform monthly reconciliations
- Perform data entry associated with accounts payable
- Review and reconcile invoice discrepancies
- Generate reports detailing accounts payables status
- Audit and process utility card bills
- Code all invoices, including bills from electricity, water, taxes, miscellaneous expenses, etc.
- Answering queries from suppliers, contractors and other business departments about accounts payable or payments made
- Ensure outstanding obligations are credited upon payment, identify discount opportunities, and issue purchase order amendments or stop-payment orders.
- Assist with accounting records and ledgers by reconciling monthly statements and transactions.
- Record entries of, verify documentation for and distribute petty cash.
- Calculate and report sales tax based on paid invoices.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- B.Sc./ HND in Accounting / Finance / Business Administration
- Professional Certifications
- ICAN, CFA or ACCA is a plus
- Experience 3+ years of related experience.
Competency and Skill Requirements
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience and high proficiency in MS Excel and accounting software
- Knowledge of accounts receivable management
- Knowledge of office administration and procedures
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures
- Knowledge of general accounting principals
- Knowledge of regulatory standards and compliance requirements
- Good information management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work well with management and staff at all levels
- Ability to think strategically
- High level of accuracy, efficiency and accountability
- Ability to build relationships with clients and internal departments
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be able to manage time and people efficiently
- Able to work under pressure
- Work well as part of a team
- Very discreet and professional
- Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently without errors.
Application Closing Date
19th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.