MasterMindsHRSG Consulting – Our client, a leading fertiliser and agro-allied companies in Africa is currently recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Financial Control
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Head, Financial Control holds a position that is essential for the efficient and effective running of the Finance and Business Support function.
- The primary purpose of this position is to manage and direct daily accounting activities; ensuring that proper accounting and recording of company transactions are performed in an accurate and timely manner; and producing financial and other key reports for management.
- This key position is a replacement in the existing post and is ideal one for someone with aspirations to grow the role to that of a Chief Financial Officer as the company grows.
- The role will involve the day to day direction of the existing team of 10 and will require taking a forward-planning approach to the company’s financial processes and accounts, with particular emphasis on the communication of financial concepts and outcomes to our other departments and senior management.
- It involves managing and developing controls to ensure the accurate and timely provision of information. Manage, motivate and drive performance of key accounting staff to ensure all responsibilities of the department are met.
- This role is responsible for the accurate and timely provision of corporate financial reporting and the preparation of annual statutory accounts for the group.
- This role provides key support to the GCFO for the provision of financial information, analysis and advice to the Board of Directors and the Senior Management Team.
Job Description – Financial:
- Manage and drive output from the Financial and Corporate Accounting functions to ensure that deadlines and timetables are met, including:
- All aspects relating to the preparation of the monthly management accounts.
- All GL and bank reconciliations.
- Periodic reports for the Finance Committee, Audit Committee and the Board.
- Manage annual audit process with external auditors.
- Ensure that the company’s accounting and book-keeping practices are inconformity with applicable standard practices and regulations.
- Monthly management accounts and statutory accounting;
- Preparation of Board finance pack in numerical and dashboard-style, and monthly management reporting.
- Maintaining systems and procedures to ensure the efficient processing of all the business transactions;
- Control and improvement of established accounting procedures and implementation of relevant additional procedures.
- Ensuring an appropriate internal control framework is in place to safeguard the business.
- Prepare annual statutory financial accounts that are fully compliant with IFRS.
- Manage the Accounts Receivable process to ensure that all overdue debt collection procedures are followed.
- Manage the Accounts Payable process to ensure that all supplier agreements are conformed with and that all payments are made within company terms.
- Prepare and reconcile profit and loss accounts, balance sheets and cash flow statements for multiple entities across multiple locations.
- Consolidate subsidiary profit and loss accounts to create Group results.
- Ensure all company fixed assets are monitored and accurately accounted for.
- Ensure the fixed assets register is managed and maintained with strict adherence to the fixed assets policy.
- Responsible for all aspects of tax compliance in relation to the company
- Ensures that the company complies with periodic tax payment, information reporting, and other tax authorities’ requirements.
- Advises management regarding effects of business activities on taxes, and on strategies for minimizing tax liability.
- Collect and collate all necessary documentation in readiness for and preparation of company tax return.
- Assist with administration of insurances for the Group including annual renewal process.
- Work with the Human Resources Department to ensure accurate allocation of payroll activity data and costs.
- Manage efficient utilization of resources both human and material.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals of staff in accordance with the Company’s policy.
- Ensure objects of Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) policies of the Company are integrated into work practices.
- Consult with staff on workplace health and safety matters which may affect them and ensure communication on QHSE issues is promoted as a normal component of work.
- Evaluates departmental performance and makes adjustments to daily operations when needed to ensure the department meets overall goals and objectives.
- Provides training, guidance, and direction to employees to ensure work is performed in an efficient, timely, and knowledgeable manner.
- Work in co-ordination with all Department Heads across the organization, providing assistance, resources and support as required.
- Maintains good corporate relations with customers, vendors, banking institutions, auditors, owner companies and other affiliates.
- Works closely with financial institutions concerning banking activity changes, enhancements and charges.
- Performs the accounting functions and financial reporting for all subsidiary companies within the Group.
- Coordinates year-‐end audit with external auditors and assists in the preparation of audit schedules, data, and information.
- Work with the accounting staff to coordinate efforts to provide needed information for the auditors.
- Directs the implementation of needed corrections as determined by audit.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the GCFO
- This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with not less than ten years of accounting and finance post qualification experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders.
- S/he will ideally have experience in a complex manufacturing or industrial business that has multiple business segments.
Other Qualifications include:
- At least five years solid senior accounting experience within a medium to large manufacturing or industrial organization, publicly quoted on the NSE.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the company’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the
- GCFO, the responsibility for the Financial Control Department
- University degree plus professional accounting qualification (e.g. ACA, ACCA,) is required
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for projects.
- Statutory reporting experience for a public company, quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange;
- Solid experience in preparing statutory financial statements in compliance with IFRS.
- Working familiarity with ERP business application systems (e.g. Dynamics NAV);
- Good knowledge of the relevant corporate tax laws in Nigeria
- Technology savvy with advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Strong MS Excel and PowerPoint presentation skills.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- High level of motivation & initiative
- Strong attention to detail
- Commercially aware
- Strong customer focus and service orientation
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective communication both verbal and written.
- The ability to lead a small team to achieve department and business finance demands is fundamental as is understanding protocol when interacting with management together with maintaining a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality.
- The ability to plan and prioritize workloads in order to meet deadlines is fundamental so too is effective time management of work flow in order to meet accounting deadlines.
- The ability to work without Management direction, use initiative and possess a positive attitude towards teamwork is critical.
- The capacity to train and coach other members of the department is an expected element of this role.
- The capacity to develop and format procedures and workflow systems which accurately reflect the department’s operations is essential.
- Computer literacy is essential with particular reference to Microsoft Office Suites
- Excel, Word and PowerPoint, with good working knowledge of ERP systems.
Application Closing Date
18th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
|Job Category||Financial Controller|