The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Assistant to the Chief of Mission
SVN No. : VN2022.157
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
IOM Classification: G7
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Organizational Unit: Programme Support Unit
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with the possibility of extension
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Manages the daily operation of the Chief of Mission’s office by:
- Facilitating timely flow of documents/communication/messages to and from the Chief of Mission; receive all incomings addressed to the Chief of Mission’s Office; managing the time of the Chief of Mission including establishing/arranging appointments, maintaining Chief of Mission’s calendar, receiving and directing visitors, placing and screening calls and answering queries; making contacts with embassies, UN agencies, international institutions, government offices, and Regional Offices;
- Handling and maintaining policy, confidential and general management files including all correspondences.
- Drawing Chief of Mission’s attention to important, sensitive and time-bound information.
- Following up implementation of assignments from the Chief of Mission to staff;
- Establishing and maintaining a document/work assignment tracking system including receiving, screening, logging, and routing as well as maintaining a system for follow-up and retrieval.
- Making travel arrangements for the Chief of Mission including travel itinerary, booking, logistical requirements, visa, all protocol and other administrative matters;
- Checking and clearing for format presentation and accuracy all outgoing correspondences submitted for the Chief of Mission’s signature.
Provides secretarial and document processing services by:
- Drafting, at the request of the Chief of Mission, routine correspondences like letters, memos, note Verbal’s etc;
- Assist in the preparation and servicing of conferences/workshops/events/meetings by:
- Establishing contact with the invitees;
- Following-up on the invitation letters;
- Ensuring preparation and distribution of documents, etc.
- Participating in the organization and preparation of staff meetings.
- Preparing and updating proposed calendar of conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops of the Chief of Mission.
Supports CO activities by:
- Support the project development and donor reporting through elaboration of the programmes/projects log frame/result matrix on a continuous basis.
- Support the Head of PSU in coordinating IOM responses to recurrent and ad-hoc donor requests, including the collection, edition and dissemination of institutional and thematic information.
- Follow up on the development and updating outreach tools including donor profiles, partnership for action booklets, etc.
- Compile and provide administrative support for the drafting of any other information and documents necessary for project development, reporting and donor liaison purposes.
- Performing other duties as requested.
- University Degree in Business Administration, Business Management or relevant field with five years of professional experience in the areas of Administration, preferably with an International Organization;
- A minimum of five years of experience in administrative services, or higher responsibilities, to senior managers, preferably in an international organization.
- Experience working with budget or contracts administration is desirable
- Experience working with ERP applications for budget or contracts administration is desirable;
- Demonstrable ability to act under pressure and completing tasks in a timely manner;
- Demonstrable experience with Microsoft Office and Google’s G-Suite;
- Strategic multitasking experience, strong analytical skills, and situational anticipation abilities;
- Expert level internal and external communications skills as well as excellent negotiation skills;
- Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, and coordinate administrative activities;
- Fluency in English is required and working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
1st December, 2022.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “VN2022.157 Executive Assistant to the Chief of Mission G7”
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
- IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.