The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – International Expert-Legal and Regulatory Advisory Service
CFCV No. : CFCV2022/72
Location: Remote with travels
Organizational Unit: Immigration and Border Management (IBM)
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 5 months/to terminate November 2023
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Nigeria is presently engaged in the process of expansion of a Border Management Information System (BMIS), named MIDAS, which was developed by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in 2009, and currently operational at 5 main International Airports and 30 operational points (land and sea PoE as well as corresponding State Commands), creating a data/system architecture under the control of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
- IOM is further supporting relevant Nigerian authorities to build border officials’ data analytical capabilities to identify trends and threats in relation to Trafficking in Persons (TiP) and Smuggling of Migrants (SoM) to complement the aforementioned interventions. This is essential because data-driven decision making is more holistic and has a lasting impact.
- Enabling data sharing capabilities in the absence of a conducive data sharing environment is futile, to this end IOM in coordination with relevant Government Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs) are working to set up systems that will enable data sharing capabilities between the countries to develop more comprehensive threat analyses. These datasharing capabilities must be underpinned by strong data protection and privacy laws and practices.
- The IBM team is pursuing a pilot project to ensure an effective border management system in Nigeria, and to address the existing gaps in information management capabilities along the Niger-Nigeria border as well as the apparent lack of strong communication and streamlined cooperation between those countries.
- The justification for this derives from the fact that cooperation between Niger-Nigeria on data exchange and sharing in border management. remains minimal; and therefore, support is needed in context, so as to counter-trafficking and smuggling of migrants.
- To this end, IOM seeks to engage a legal consultant to provide required legal and regulatory advisory services that will support the IOM team and relevant partners in advancing the objectives of the pilot project.
- IOM’s approach aims to shorten the channels of communication between the two national border authorities; to better understand respective legal, institutional, procedural frameworks as well as the nature and type of criminal networks; and to build trust between prosecutors and law enforcers, ultimately enabling joint investigations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the IBM Program Manager and in close coordination with the Immigration and Border Management unit, the successful candidate will work as a consultant on the IOM Immigration and Border Management (IBM) project portfolios “The IBM projects are implemented in collaboration with the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) and relevant border officials, in particular, the consultant will:
- Provide a detailed report on the pre-conditions that need to be satisfied allowing Nigeria and Niger to enter enhanced data-sharing arrangements.
- Work with the National legal consultant and the IBM team to establish a cross-border legal working group on privacy and data protection in the context of developing a data-sharing agreement between NIS and the comparable Nigerien agency.
- Present findings to the working group.
- Prepare a preliminary report that contains model provisions on a bilateral data-sharing agreement between Nigeria and Niger.
- Present the report to relevant Nigerian agencies.
- Participate in the cross-border legal working group meetings to be set up.
- Guide the National Consultant and IOM team in their work concerning strengthening data-sharing within Nigeria. It is to be noted that the substantive responsibility for this work lies with the National Consultant. The international consultant will only provide views and comments on the work of the National Consultant.
- In coordination with IOM Nigeria support the facilitation of peer-to-peer mentoring (Mock Scenarios, international study visits etc) activity for relevant Nigerian Law enforcement officials.
- In coordination with the IOM team, contribute to the implementation of the activities carried out though out the duration of this consultancy.
- Following the development of national legal and operational data management frameworks, work with the IOM team to deliver training for border staff and disseminate the new frameworks in both countries.
- Where required, actively seek input of relevant international organisations with the aim to further inform the development of Nigeria’s regulatory regime relating to the subject matter of the project; and
- Prepare and submit a report to IOM summarising the work performed not more than 1 week after each activity; and Submission of final report covering the entire consultancy period.
- Adherence to agreed schedule of activities.
- Timely production of reports
- Respectful and cooperative approach with IOM team, NIS and other concerned counterparts.
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced University Degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in international Law, with 5 years of experience (Seven years for candidates holding only a first level university degree) in the field and work experience in international law
- 5-7 years of prior work experience in international law.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in undertaking research especially in the area of data management and data protection.
- Demonstrated experiences and skills in facilitating stakeholder/working group consultations.
- Relevant regional and international experience will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing SOPs especially in the area of data management and data protection. The project seeks to identify expert (s) that fulfil the above criteria and have demonstrated ability of involving key stakeholders (judiciary, prosecution, police, civil society etc.) to provide relevant expertise and bring a wider perspective in developing the SOP.
- Ability to provide solutions in a fast-paced environment, whether working independently or as part of a team
- Excellent professional ethics
- Extensive knowledge and ability to draft and produce high-quality written reports.
- Excellent social and inter-cultural skills.
- Ability to work with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, empathy, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and organized.
- Excellent understanding of gender-related needs, perspectives, concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
- Fluency in English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Application Closing Date
Wednesday 22nd June, 2022.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)”, and with a subject line CFCV2022/72 Remote with travels. Consultant (International Expert-Legal and Regulatory Advisory Service)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, int